Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Annnd They're Back!

The students have arrived. My routine is beginning to take shape once again, and this is helpful. I've been having fun creating unique lesson plans that are hopefully exciting and memorable for the students. At times though, I've found myself compromising a full-fledged smile for a stern look and a few moments of unspoken condemnation. In general, however, I'm flattered by the appreciation and warmth shown by my students. They understand that I'm a normal 22 year old, with the same humor and the same exuberance.

Having taken over a few new classes, I've confronted students far behind the class material I taught last semester. It's frustrating mainly because I realize it's no fault of the students. Some of them have simply been left behind by instructors who don't care. I've truly inherited a sense of what it takes to be a good teacher, and for the record, I think I'm a good one.

So much of being an effective teacher is establishing a culture of confidence amongst students. I don't shy away from humor, and I do my best to keep the classroom environment light albeit focused. But enough of that.

While the last number of days were spent in a sort of suppressive haze, birthed from somewhere inside, today was different. The liberating effect of routine kicked in. I donned my new suit, my modern-day suit-of-armor, and tore threw my classes with grace. This weekend, I travel to the most beautiful city in the world to walk along the Bosphorous, smell the salty air, and feel the buzz of the Grand Bazaar, or nighttime in Besiktas, Istiklal, or Beyoglu.

As always, feel free to stay in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment