Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Still Here!

Some news I received from home a little while ago kept me spontaneously looking for ways to distract myself. Happily, my best friend from home along with his soon-to-be wife arrived soon after for a wonderful visit that allowed me the opportunity to not only speak English for prolonged periods of time, but to also enjoy the positive rays of friendship for which I am thankful. They, bravely, ventured to Bilecik to get a sense of my everyday life. They were treated to a brief tour that covered nearly the entire town, some delicious foods, and a barrage of bewildered stares, gazes, double-takes, and full-on eye screws. We may have been inadvertently making history. I cannot imagine a time when three Americans traversed through Bilecik - Turkey's version of everyone's hometown with football. It may never happen again, though we were certainly noted and perhaps our feats and exploits will be discovered thousands of years from now in some Bilecik excavation project.

The Bilecik visit was short but plenty long enough to show them just about everything. We then set off for Istanbul where I was able to show them some of what they hadn't seen the few days prior to arriving in Bilecik. We explored the famed Taksim Square and buzzing Istiklal, took pictures of cats, discovered and mastered the favored game of salty old Istanbulite men (that is, tabla), took more pictures of cats, and ventured to a hamam (after much coercion). I noticed my friend's masseuse was especially rough and unforgiving, for which I was thankful. It was good to have them around, and I'll cherish the experiences we shared.

Because the students are currently taking mid-term exams, and because I don't administer them, I'm able to travel this weekend to famed Cappadocia, where the wine flows and where drunks try not to impale themselves on those weird pointy stone structures the region is so famous for. Jesus is there, I hear. Maybe that's the wine talking.

Not much more to write today. I'm quite tired and my mind's elsewhere. More to come soon.

Peace and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment