Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Taking Class in a New Direction

I tried something different in class this week. My lesson focused a bit on English grammar (my students are learning the 'past continuous' tense and modals), but after the first hour, I decided to change gears. I take the Fulbright Program's mission to heart, and I've started to examine what it means to bridge cultural, social, and political gaps between countries. Being in Turkey provides a unique challenge as social and cultural characteristics seem markedly different from those in the United States.

Inspired by a favorite Professor of mine at Wheaton College, I decided to play a word-association game. I simply put the word 'America' on the black-board and asked students to write whatever words came to mind - uncensored, free of judgement. I wanted them to be honest, poignant, and forward. While I've only asked a few classes to participate, many of the same or similar adjectives were noted. I've listed a number of them below:

Exploitation
Crowded
Devil
Honest
Finance
Gorgeous
Independence
Capitalism
Twin Towers
Technology
Obama
CIA
Murder
Shopping
White House
War
Priest
Black people
Hollywood
Racism
Bombing
Freedom
Church
Grand Canyon
Iraq
Tupac
FBI
Sneaking
Artist
Jazz
Poker
Jail

I hope to carry forth this activity through the remainder of the week. So far I've found their responses incredibly compelling, and would be interested to see a side-by-side comparison of words young US university students would associate with Turkey. I decided to chose this activity as a method through which to highlight the pervasive nature of stereotypes, and then to push back against them with more lessons touching upon US lifestyles, politics, etc. Ideally, I hope to strengthen bonds between the cultures by drawing interesting and powerful parallels. It's up to me to figure out exactly how to go about doing that.

More to come on this. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Common ground is found in the heart. Talk about an experience that includes all except ideology, and the gaps grow smaller while the bridges grow stronger.

    ReplyDelete