Thursday, April 21, 2011

April 21st

I've found a renewed interest walking around town, past the feline pilgrimage sites, the old, dilapidated buildings, the stands of fresh produce, and the now-familiar streets. My renewed interest is a product of a keen awareness that this experience will forever remain in my memory banks. I want to realize it, to live it to its fullest in the moment. I want to suck the sap dry of my time time here, and although I know it's impossible, the goal is a good one. For the pat week or so, however, the weather has been an dark mix of greys, blues, and off-whites relentlessly pushing out the sun and leaving Bilecik in a cold, damp, stoic state. Weather has a way of beating you down - and then keeping you there. But alas, today the sun poked through the ceiling of vast grey and hung around for awhile. In fact, I think it's supposed to stay nice for a few days.

This is a good thing because I've finally got a few more visitors making the journey to Bilecik. Fulbrighters, this time from Nevsehir, are staying and we plan to visit nearby points of interest - namely Eskisehir and Bursa. In Eskisehir, on one of way lazy weekends staying in the region, I finally found a neighborhood a had heard of for quite awhile. Beyond the main drive, where the cafe's, the malls, and the canal lie, there is a neighborhood of renovated Ottoman houses, painted in beautiful colors, lining cobblestone streets. I was pleased to find it, and more pleased to have had the opportunity to walk around, snap some photos, and locate a small little restaurant with delicious Turkish cuisine (what else would it have, right?). The owners were particularly friendly and spoke to me in Turkish. I nodded my head, desperately hoping it was an appropriate response to whatever it was they spoke of.

Only a few more weeks left of class. I'm deliberating as to what I'll do after. Something fun, something adventurous, something bold. I'll keep you posted.

Much love.


No comments:

Post a Comment