Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the Mundane..

I got back to Bilecik before the beginning of this week, began the work week, and BLAM, was assaulted by an overwhelming mix of stubborn Turkish bureaucracy, language barrier anxiety, nostalgia, and uneasiness. Being abroad is special - truly special, however I felt myself losing sight of its magic, its appeal in a more dramatic way than expected. A few meditations later, I've pulled it together but that was a scary few days. It's required a step back, wide-lens review of my purpose, my goals, and my responsibilities. But everything happens for a reason, right? More of a coping mechanism than a life philosophy, I'd say, but the intention is good.

But, as promised, a few words on Prince's Island: A spectacular destination off the Bosphorous, about 45 mins by boat from Istanbul. My friends and I spent an entire day there, which included the boat ride in, followed by a seafood lunch, a bike ride around the island (the views were spectacular), and a couple drinks followed by nargile with a smaller group of comrades. I couldn't have asked for a better day and Prince's Island, characterized by an interesting assortment of mostly European architecture, and cliff-side views, is a favorite place of mine. It's a place I will return to, time and time again, well into my future to soak in the sun and to remind myself of what life is all about.

Tomorrow I sojourn to Balikesehir for an authentic American Thanksgiving meal. That was an optimistic last sentence, but we'll do our very best to find a turkey in Turkey for TurkeyDay. My focus for tomorrow's feast? The salad. Inshallah I find the ripest tomatoes this side of the Tigris, and the most luscious lettuce this side of Lebanon. Inshallah. Inshallah.

On a side note, I'm sitting in a cafe, in a somewhat secluded corner, avoiding the inquiring stares from students of mine who, I'm sure, find me wayyy more interesting than I actually am. A few students even gave thanks for me during the Thanksgiving lesson today. I'm comfortable being shrouded in a veil of secrecy, and I haven't awarded the students enough information to reveal my true nature. A few of them think I'm a spy, and that's awesome as far as I'm concerned.

I have much to be thankful for this holiday: a healthy Mom and Dad, the opportunity for self-reflection and world travel, exposure to others perspectives and beliefs, and some truly special friends.

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll


No comments:

Post a Comment