Thursday, November 11, 2010

Home for Dad's Surgery

Hi All:

I've spent the last week back in the States, tending to Craig after his major operation intended to reconstruct his abdomen after a series of invasive procedures. While this doesn't have much to do with my experience abroad, it's provided me a peek back into US culture from an alternative vantage point. Thrust back into the mayhem of US hyper-reality, I am. Everything seems so fast-paced, excessive, impersonal. But at the same time, it's nice to be home, even if for only a few moments.

Dad's surgery went well, and thank God for that. I don't want to detail the significance of the operation, but it saved his life. He's looking good right now, with a fair amount of color in his face and a cool ginger ale on the bedside table. He stood up today and went for a brief walk around the hallway, IV bag in tow. Overheard the nurses talking about mango-salsa and grilled salmon, and yelled at 'em for talking about food (he hasn't eaten solid food for a few days now). With his new six-pack abs and sympathetic countenance, he's scoring major points with the nurses.

I was very fortunate to have been able to come home for this. Dad is relieved, and that's all I can ask for. He's excited to return the favor and visit Turkey sometime in the Spring, when the weather is warmer and he's entirely healed. I can't wait. Now I have to work on getting Mom to visit too.

I head back to Istanbul for Bayram - a delicious nine-day holiday that's sure to be a good time. Some fellow Fulbrighters from the south of Turkey are making the excursion northward, so it will be wonderful seeing them for the week. I'd like to say something like, "Istanbul isn't ready for us," but it's survived countless invasions and I can't pretend to be any more imperial than the Romans.

Wishing you all the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment