Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Turkcesi ne?

I realize it's been a few days since I've contributed to the blog, and I apologize for my absence. I have no excuse. I've been wasting a great deal of time for the first time in a few years. Class planning isn't as strenuous as cranking out papers or preparing for exams. And because much of my life in Turkey is still in flux (for instance, who the &%&$ is paying for my residence?), I've used it as a good excuse to remain stagnant. If I remain still, maybe the chronic, inevitable barrage of problems won't see me?It's as if I've been so violated by bureaucratic policy, I'm afraid to topple my delicate, vulnerable situation. I'm paralyzed with fear. At least the police haven't paid me a visit (the same can't be said for everyone in the program).

When convenient, I've gotten around to studying Turkish, which I employ in the classroom to get a rise out of my students. I hate class if it's boring, so I employ broken Turkish to maintain their attention. They LOVE it. And I swear, if I were to ask for anything in Turkish, I'm 75% more likely to receive it. Not because they don't understand my English, but because they can identify with abandoning their linguistic comfort zones. They appreciate my efforts just as I appreciate theirs.

This weekend I celebrated Thanksgiving with some Fulbrighters in Balikesir (literally 'Fish City'). I realized, too, just how much I have to be thankful for. In the absence of family and close friends, I realize just how important they are and how much I truly love them. "For that which you love most in (friends and family) may be clearer in (their) absence, as the mountains to the climber is clearer from the plain," to quote Khalil Gibrain. I am especially thankful for my father's health. Thank God for him - the rock of my life.

The event was good. Good food, good people, and hearty adventures. As for this weekend? I'm planning on visiting Duzce - a town north of Bilecik near the Black Sea coast. Exploring new places is an important part of my life. I feel a sense of ease in the chaos. That's love.

I hope you are well well back in the States! Stay in touch, ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment