Monday, October 18, 2010

Balikesir, Kedilar, ve Baliklar

Tamam, how do I begin? I haven't written an entry in awhile for a few good reasons. The first is that the University Guesthouse I've occupied for the last week or so was without internet. Nowadays, the only places without internet are Jungles and Turkish University Guesthouses, or maybe just those in Bilecik. But the second reason is far more positive. The weekend was spent in Balikesir, visiting a fellow Fulbrighter. Balikesir is located about 4 hours West of Bilecik, in the Marmara region, where the climate is a bit warmer, and palm trees have just enough sustinance to survive. Balikesir literally translates to "Fish Slave," and for obvious reasons. My friend and I took full advantage of the fish market, selling the freshest sea creatures for wonderfully cheap prices. It wasn't long before we had picked out a pair of fish, lathered them in olive oil (the fish were getting their own little hamam experience), and placing them in the oven. After 25 minutes or so, they came out tasting perfect. I was longing for a home cooked meal (which is ridiculous if you've had my Mom's cooking. I'm not saying she's a lackluster cook, but the options are limited. She sometimes gets a tad overzealous, and creates a storm of a casserole, or something that wasn't supposed to be a casserole but became a casserole. But actually, she makes a hell of a macaroni and cheese, and her sautéed veggies are unbelievable. If you're reading this, Mom, I love you and your cooking. Don't pay any attention to this. You're a great cook), and this hit the spot.

But just as enthralling as the fish was the town and all it had to offer. My friend is a lucky guy, living in Balikesir. I won't say a word about his apartment, except that it was pristine. And the numerous cafe/bars, shops, markets, and mall stores were enough to put any consumer American at ease. Balikesir was about as sweet as the rice pudding I devoured on my final night there. Inshallah, I'll be back sooner than later.

As for Bilecik, the University gladly accepted my suggestion to live in town and promptly moved me back to the original hotel I've been staying at. I'm at the hotel indefinitely, though I've met an English teacher looking for a housemate in town. That may be a possibility, depending. This English teacher is associated with a private English-teaching firm that has expressed interest in having me work. I'm currently working 20 hours, and may take up that opportunity. It may be wise to do so, especially if I'm thinking of summer work teaching English in, say, Istanbul.

My Turkish is coming along slowly but steadily. If only my memory were sharp. I am finding, however, that I'm able to identify individual words and suffixes in sentences, and that's the first step I think, so things are looking up! For now, I'm just going to kick back, respond to some e-mails, read a little Zinn, and hit the hay. Love and miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment