Sunday, October 31, 2010

Istanbul: Conquered

Istanbul was my destination from late Thursday through Sunday. In the 3 full days I spent there, in constant motion - seeing new things, doing new things - I barely scratched the surface of this layered, ancient metropolis. I am frankly taken aback by its magnitude, it's history, it's power, it's elusiveness. But what I did see and experience, however, is as unforgettable as anything I've experienced yet. Istanbul is what Turkey is most noted for, and both Turks and travelers from all over the world consider it the greatest city on earth. Not since Cairo have I felt such a constant buzz of energy that does more to excite, seduce, and fascinate than overwhelm.

The trip started on Thursday evening. I met two Fulbrighters in Sultanahmet for a drink before heading to the hostel. We sat for a few serene moments in a nearby cafe, decompressing before dropping our bags off. On our way to the hostel we past both the Blue Mosque and the Aya Sofya, illuminated in the dark, overpowering the landscape. The sight, even at night, took my breath away. I happily crossed a goal off of my bucket list before moving on. I went back the following day to take a closer look, but it was too late to go inside. No matter, I'll be back many more times.

I was fortunate enough to meet up with my cousin and her husband for dinner! My cousin was in Istanbul visiting her old college roommate, soaking in the sights, and having a wonderful time. We met up at the fancy Four Seasons Bosphorous for an exquisite meal and found ourselves watching the Republic Day fireworks display lining the Bosphorous. In fact, there were about 5 different points along the river from which they launched the fireworks, and from out point of view, we saw them all simultaneously. The celebration was clearly planned well as each display was perfectly in sync with the rest. Whereas the fireworks were spectacular, the highlight of the night was sitting down to a delicious meal and talking. It was wonderful to see family in Turkey, and made me a bit nostalgic for home.

The next day was spent in Ortakoy, a charming village on the Bosphorous, lined with cafes and vendors. While hanging out by the water, I met Ivan, a Venezuelan gentlemen currently residing in London and working in Istanbul for the week. He approached me and confessed to dropping his camera-phone in the Bosphorous the night before. He explained that he knew almost exactly where he dropped it and planned to retrieve it in hopes of salvaging his pictures (Good luck! yikes). As he changed into shorts, I watched over his belongings. His jumping into the Bosphorous caused quite a stir amongst people sitting in the general area, but lo! Ivan was successful! He retrieved his camera, dried off, and was on his way. We exchanged e-mails, and I plan to send my pictures of the "Bosphorous Swimmer" his way.

I walked around by myself for awhile, until a couple Fulbrighters arrived. We decided on a Bosphorous tour, boarded a ship, and cruised around for an hour taking pictures, chatting, and breathing in the sea air.

I spent the rest of my time with friends, eating, mostly, and walking around. I can't wait to do it again... The energy and soul of Istanbul are alluring and may only be aptly described over some fresh fish and a bottle of raki.

On a darker note, it wasn't until I had boarded the bus back to Bilecik that I got wind of the suicide bombing in Taksim Square, Istanbul. I immediately called my friends who hadn't left yet to check in. They were far from the incident. It's unnerving, but it's important to know that these acts can happen anywhere and at any time. Istanbul is by no means prone to such attacks, the last of which occurred in 2001. Fortunately, nobody was killed along with the perpetrator, but many (32) were injured and they and their families are in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

I miss you all, and wish you a peaceful existence. Time for some more class planning, and another hot chocolate.

Salam


No comments:

Post a Comment