Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Uh oh

In the midst of all this hectic paperwork for my pending residency permit, bank account, and whatnot, I was abruptly moved to an isolated location on the outskirts of Bilecik University. I am all by myself in a guest house of sorts, miles from town, surrounded by stumpy trees, and without internet (I'm currently at a cafe). So while I describe my new living arraignment, I'm simultaneously establishing the ideal setting for a horror flick. I'll try not to think on that further..

And so my efforts for the next few days will be spent trying to get out of that housing situation and hopefully finding a suitable place closer to town. Frankly, it doesn't even need to be "suitable," it just needs to be "closer."

Besides that, I'm doing just fine. I've become a "regular" at a few local cafes and I'm learning the streets better each day. This weekend I had the pleasure of sleeping in until 11:00 and further exploring the town at my leisure. It felt like one giant Coca-Cola commercial as I passed kids playing soccer on the streets, little old men in little old houses, and rambunctious feral cats. The only thing missing was an actual bottle of Coke. I made the juvenile mistake of closely approaching a large mosque at prayer time. My eardrums payed the price as the wall to prayer swept across the mountainous landscape. The echoing bellows bounced around for quite awhile before being swallowed up by the air. As the prayer faded out, the sounds of military exercises in the distance stole any sense of silence. I marched back down the steep streets and enjoyed a Turkish culinary special, lahmacun, at an undiscovered little restaurant. Lahmacun is what you might expect to be Turkish pizza: cheap, crispy, meaty, and filling. It's best with lettuce, pickled cabbage, and fresh squeezed lemon juice over the top.

I make sure to keep everyone updated on my housing. Even if you don't particularly care, I need to get it off my chest. Environment is so very important.

I've enjoyed getting lost in this blog for awhile. Back to reality and, soon, my isolated-beyond-belief guest house. You couldn't find me with a satellite. Miss you all! Goodnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment