Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hanukkah on the Black Sea

Last weekend I visited Duzce, a town nearly destroyed by the earthquakes in 1999 and 2000. Now, save for the farmland, nearly all of the buildings are new, stocky, sturdy, albeit relatively bland and standard. In general, the town lacked a certain charm I'm lucky to have at home in Bilecik. But my company was wonderful, and made even more special by a somewhat impromptu Hanukkah celebration. I learned about the Maccabees and their travails, and ate a delicious home-cooked meal of latkes, casserole, garlic bread, wine, and other goods. It sure filled me up right.

Because Duzce is so close, we were able to visit the Black Sea. Encountering new bodies of water has always been a cool experience for me. It has a way of orienting me, allowing me to comprehend how far away, or close to, certain places I am. On the other side of the Black Sea lies Russia. Does that make me qualified to run for President? I actually think it might.

Lately my head has been buzzing and I'm not sure why. It could be the nature of the holidays - the great emphasis on friends and family. This, in light of my absence, makes the holiday season especially acute, and so I ponder, weep, and write. But to get back on track, I’m devoting myself a bit more to learning the language. I’m on chapter 4 of my “Teach Yourself Turkish” book in pdf form, and I look forward to dropping a Turkish word or phrase in the middle of class, just to see the students’ faces light up.

Though I’ll be missing Christmas in America, and New Years’ too, Dad bought me ticket back for a number of days in January. I’m looking forward to it, but the complex and mixed emotional side effects of traveling back and forth are cumbersome. It’s a tease.

One aspect of my time here that I try not to overlook is my gratitude. Gratitude has a way of masking other emotions, and it’s a damn good thing to have. There are moments I pause for a moment and consider where I’d be otherwise. This journey is all about growth and self-exploration, and that I have the privilege to be a part of it is lovely.

So long for now. I’ll write sooner next time, and throw some pictures of Turkey your way. I’d appreciate an occasional e-mail, facebook post, anything. Onward and upward.

1 comment: