Sunday, December 19, 2010

Thoughts Whilst on the Speed-Train

I can see it when the travel to cities like Bursa and Ankara - cities that only a few decades ago were smaller, far less developed. I happen to use Bursa and Ankara as examples because they're my most recent destinations, but also because of their commercial enterprise which is impressive by any standard. Bursa's Ataturk Caddesi is lined with bustling businesses and a gigantic shopping mall with its signature Blue Pyramid. Zafer Plaza is actually as nice of a mall as I've ever been to. The Turkish version of Starbucks, Khave Dunyasi, stands to compete with Starbucks, located a mere floor above. On the top floor is a food court with just about any US chain you could ask for. No wonder many view globalization as Westernization, or more specifically, Americanization. But for the record, I'll take Khave Dunyasi over Starbucks any day.

I visited Ankara just this weekend, and reconnected with a high school classmate of mine I only recently discovered to be there. We got a bite to eat and trounced around the trendy, happenin neighborhood of Kizilay with its abundance of bars, shops, and kokorec (sheep intestine) vendors. It had been a few months since I'd been there last for Fulbright orientation.

On the bullet-train from Eskisehir to Ankara and back, I couldn't help but consider how significant Turkey is becoming. With the second fasting growing economy in the world, a fierce sense of nationalism, and a liberalizing political trajectory (I said 'trajectory,' not to be confused with current political reality), Turkey is indeed an emerging power. It's ability to embrace the Western nations without dissolving its ties to the Middle East aid well in its economic and political development. This is one reason I hope to get some Turkish under my belt. The potential for an influential Turkey is great as indicated by Obama's frequent references of general support for the country. WikiLeaks got in the way a bit, but I can't honestly belief what was divulged was by any means a surprise.

Christmas is coming soon! I'm again headed to Balikesir to celebrate with wonderful friends. Let there be Christmas lights, freshly baked cookies, and tunes to abet the occasion.

Stille Nacht, from the other side of the world.

Be back soon, inshallah.

No comments:

Post a Comment